The Minnesota African American Heritage Museum and Gallery (MAAHMG) is looking for a dedicated individual with excellent organization and planning skills to join our team. This position is responsible for the operation of MAAHMG’s youth programming.
This is a part-time position (20 hours per week). Schedule is Tuesday through Saturday to be performed during museum operation hours. This position reports directly to Coventry Cowens, Museum Manager. This is a 12-month, grant funded position which has the potential for permanent status if additional funding becomes available. Salary is $20,000.
To apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Coventry Cowens, Cofounder and Museum Manager at info@maahmg,org. Application closes October 28, 2023.
The general responsibilities of the position are to plan and implement both new and existing youth programming for MAAHMG. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- MAAHMG Youth Curator Program
- MAAHMG Visionary Voices Program
- MAAHMG Youth Art Workshop
- MAAHMG Children’s Reading Circle
- Develop and present new youth programming that pertains to the history, art and culture of African Americans in Minnesota.
- Evaluate MAAHMG programs and prepare reports.
- Assist the Museum Manager with pre-K-12 school tours.
- Serve as coordinator for the Children’s Reading Circle which includes recruiting and scheduling guest authors and readers, selecting books for the museum’s collection, promotion, marketing and increasing participation.
- Represent MAAHMG at various events.
Demonstrable success in establishing and conducting youth programming. Experience in creating and implementing arts, cultural, and history programming for youth ages preK – 12.
Proven ability to establish beneficial partnerships with schools and youth organizations. Experience working with youth and children from diverse backgrounds. Outstanding organization, time management, problem solving, and decision-making skills. Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and presentation skills. Experience with social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Experience with Microsoft Office, Mailchimp, Google products, web design, graphic design and content production. Ability to work independently and be a self-starter. Ability to work some evenings as needed.
The mission of the Minnesota African American Heritage Museum and Gallery is to preserve, record and celebrate the achievements, contributions and experiences of African Americans in Minnesota. This purpose is carried out through exhibitions, programs and community events that educate and inform the public about the history, culture and art of Blacks in the State. MAAHMG is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered with the State of Minnesota. For more information, visit www.maahmg.org.