The Minnesota African American Heritage Museum and Gallery (MAAHMG) is looking for a dedicated individual with excellent organization and planning skills to join our team. This position is responsible for the operation of MAAHMG’s community outreach and programming.
This is a part-time position (20 hours per week). Schedule is Tuesday through Saturday to be performed during museum operation hours. This position reports directly to Coventry Cowens, Museum Manager. This is a 12-month, grant funded position which has the potential for permanent status if additional funding becomes available. Salary is $20,000.
To apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Coventry Cowens, Cofounder and Museum Manager at info@maahmg,org. Application closes October 28, 2023.
The general responsibilities of the position are to create companion programming that
coordinates with MAAHMG’s exhibitions, and develop community outreach and public events.
Specific tasks include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and present public programming that pertains to the history, art and culture of African Americans in Minnesota that engage with the community;
- Develop programs that are related to or connect with MAAHMG’s exhibitions;
- Evaluate MAAHMG programs and prepare reports;
- Assist the Museum Manager with group tours;
- Assist with the creation, coordination and implementation of events, panel discussions, and community conversations at the museum and virtually;
- Coordinate and arrange for MAAHMG’s participation in community events sponsored by other cultural institutions and organizations;
- Networking and developing shared programming opportunities with other museums, cultural institutions, community-based organizations and other partners and maintaining regular communications;
- Represent MAAHMG at various community meetings and events.
Demonstrable success in establishing and conducting community programming. Experience in creating and implementing arts, cultural, and history programming. Proven ability to establish beneficial partnerships with schools and community organizations. Experience working with adults, youth, and children. Outstanding organization, time management, problem solving, and decision-making skills. Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and presentation skills. Experience with social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. Experience with Microsoft Office, Mailchimp, Google products, web design, graphic design and content production. Ability to work independently and be a self-starter. Ability to work some evenings as needed.
The mission of the Minnesota African American Heritage Museum and Gallery is to preserve, record and celebrate the achievements, contributions and experiences of African Americans in Minnesota. This purpose is carried out through exhibitions, programs and community events that educate and inform the public about the history, culture and art of Blacks in the State. MAAHMG is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered with the State of Minnesota. For more information, visit www.maahmg.org.